Sunday, October 17, 2010

Happiness at work




My name is Andrew Cymes.  The following blog will be about my happiness at work.  I will also relate it to a video I saw by Robbins, Tony entitled “Why we do what we do, and how we can do it better.” TED conference January 16, 2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpc-t-Uwv1I&feature=player_embedded


I have had some really interesting jobs in my life, such as working in construction, armed security and steering large vessels.  Most of those jobs I liked because they were hands-on.  They weren't easy but they weren't boring either.  As Mr. Robbins’ video discusses, "We all have the ability and capacity to make the right decisions in our lives.”  He goes on to say that decision-making is the ultimate power!  I believe this is true.  Wrong choices can make a person hate his/her job and never strive to do better.  Sometimes we are forced to accept what we do for a living, and never choose to do anything else.  We accept it because it's all we know.  Change feels as if we are walking into a dark jungle.  That can be very scary.  But if you never accept the risk, then surely you will have denied yourself the opportunity to realize just how much further you might have gone in life.

Mr. Robbins feature goes on to state in his video that contributing time to help other people with their problems is another form of happiness, as that not only helps build up our own self-esteem, but the self-esteem of others as well.  I can relate to what he says.  I contributed four years of my life to helping my country in the armed forces.  I wasn't sure what I was getting into at first but, by the end of my tour, it made me a better person.  Before I joined the service I didn't know what I was going to do as far as a job/career, but serving in the U. S. Navy gave me the determination to pursue what I believe to be the right path.

In summary, I enjoyed watching Mr. Robbins video.  It helped me to reinforce my own experience about happiness at work.  We all have the ability and capacity to make the right decisions in our lives, but when we make bad choices, we have to find it within ourselves to correct the mistakes.  Otherwise, we'll never change or progress as human beings.  Hopefully, by doing so, we may discover a new path or career on the road to happiness.






No comments:

Post a Comment